The Book Curse bookplates project has sort of exploded. I mean, it’s no million-dollar Kickstarter success story, but as of this morning I have over $7,500 pledged for bookplates and original art (of which only 2 designs remain unsold). I won’t go so far as to say that it’s overwhelming. Let’s instead say sobering. There’s a lot of work to be done, but for a far greater reward than I ever imagined.

One such reward is the Epson P-800 printer that I will be ordering, which is quite a step up from the current one and will open doors to further expansion on the art production side of my weird little empire.

While we’re at it, here’s the final artwork for the Cursed Roots design (which sold within 5 minutes of posting it as an update):

img_6028

While it wasn’t planned, it turned out to be quite Miyazaki-inspired. The Soot Sprites were the final elements to be added to the drawing, and I am very pleased with them.

On the data side of the project, some 75% of pledges stemmed within Kickstarter’s various discovery and recommendation prompts while the remaining 25% come from outside sources such as Facebook, Instagram, Bored Panda, Notcot, et al. This is totally inverted from the Pirate King project within which 70% of  support originated outside of Kickstarter. I’ll tell you this: it’s a lot less work when Kickstarter is pushing for you.

I’ve been recording the Kickstarter experience and related observations. Someday I’ll probably write an experiential guide to help others who may want to try out a Kickstarter of their own. Speaking of writing…

This weekend there are changes to be made to the chapters I’ve written in my novella. I realized that there is still the evidence of early decisions that were made when the whole concept was different. The re-write will solidify the foundation for the conflict. Once I’ve made my changes, I’ll begin to post my more-or-less finished chapters for my Patreon backers to enjoy.

Thanks, as always, for reading. I’d love to hear from you in the comments if you’ve anything you’d like to add.

Advertisements